As a publisher, you probably are facing the same paradox as other sites. That is, increasing traffic and declining eCPM. Why? For one, advertisers aren’t willing to spend at the time of crisis and two, programmatic buyers have blocked COVID-19 related keywords. This, in turn, results in lesser competition on your news content. So, what can you do to?
Here is a quick summary:
- Run programmatic in-stream video ads across the news content. They aren’t being blocked as much as the display inventory and eCPMs are relatively higher as well.
- Divert traffic towards the neutral content. Ad verification vendors and demand-side platforms are building/utilizing solutions to advertise on education-focused content (like educational content related to COVID-19).
- Get yourself whitelisted from your direct advertisers and programmatic buyers. DSPs can excluded trusted sites from blacklists.
- Focus on other categories that are gaining popularity due to the current situations. Examples include hobbies, heath, and fitness.
- Recommend brand-safe content within the coronavirus articles to divert the traffic where you can run ads.
If you want learn more about keyword blacklisting, head here.